Monday, March 9, 2009

Why Nahnie's Garden?

I was once asked by my daughters what name I would like to be called by my grandchildren when they began arriving. On my mother's side, each grandma is given a new name that they will be known as by their grandchildren. My great grandmother was Nena,(long e) My Grandma is known as Nana, and my mother is known as Nena.(long e) Not thinking about being a Grandma too soon, I hadn't given any thought to the subject. When we began talking about this, two of my daughters (the sarcastic duo, j/k) came up with the idea that I should be called NoNo. When asked to explain why, they thought they were really cute by telling me that my grandchildren should call me NoNo because anytime they (the girls) asked to do anything or go anywhere, my reply was always NO! Wrong!(it wasn't always NO!) I explained that I didn't want my grandchildren to call me NoNo, because in their case, I would just say, "As you wish!" (kidding) So, for the girls, they would have to accept no, my grandchildren, well, we shall see.
Ashli decided that she wanted me to be called Nahnie by my grandchildren. Funny, cause she doesn't have any yet, but this is the name she wanted. So, Nahnie it is. I must admit that I still have a hard time being referred to a new name. Sounds a bit strange, but it will be great. And for Greg, the wonderful grand prize of a grandpa, he will be called the ever popular PaPa. Couldn't come up with a unique name that only he would have, but none the less, PaPa he is. And Brady definitely loves his PaPa!
So why Nahnie's Garden? Well, first of all, I love gardening. I must have inherited this passion from my great grandpa Severino Martinez. He loved growing geraniums and vegetable gardens, including pumpkins. Another person I must have inherited this from is from my Nana. She always had beautiful flower and vegetable gardens. And second, from the time Afton was pregnant with Brady and when he arrived, I have felt that he is my little lovebug. Hopefully when he is grown and married he will still want to be my "lovebug". So, we have a little girl on the way, due March 31. Aah, what shall I call her? Of course, it only makes sense, she will be my little ladybug! Her mommy has chosen ladybugs as her theme for her bedroom. Perfect decorations to go with a perfect little girl. In visiting with Terica one day, she asked if her baby, which is due July 27th, was going to be called my little stinkbug. We laughed, only because Terica and I probably should have been called Stinkbugs when we were growing up by our grandparents. I have thought about it alot, and I want her baby to be my little snugglebug! So, these little "bugs" are exactly what my garden has needed. Just as being outside gardening makes me happy, so will each of my grandchildren. I am so thankful that Heavenly Father has blessed me with a passion for gardening, and has chosen me to be a grandma to these little ones. I look forward to watching them blossom through their lives and I know I will continue to receive many blessings because of them. So, I end with a thought: Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love! Which is exactly what I intend to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment