Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Remember This

The other night I was missing my Dad and Grandma Syl very much. I stopped what I was doing and pulled out an old suitcase that once belonged to my Grandpa Martinez (Grandma Syl's Dad). Grandma gave me this box of goodies a few years ago when she lived in Santa Fe. I still love the "old smell" of the cardboard box. The contents in the box were a bunch of old newspapers, papers and mementos that my Grandma saved. (She saved everything - I think that is where i got it from) Anyway, in the box was a thought by F. Collis Wildman. As I read it, again, for the millionth time, I just felt the need to blog it.....I think we all could use this in our lives, and if the word "Damn" offends you, sorry, it is part of the thought. Enjoy!!!

Remember This

Be good, but not too good - a little naughty, but not too naughty. Say a prayer if you feel that way, say Damn if it gives you consolation. Be kind to the world always, if possible - yet if you must be unkind, smash right and left, get it over and forget it.
Smile, always smile, have a smile ready even though sometimes it hurts. Grab all the happiness you can - wherever and whenever you can - don't let even a wee bit slip past you. Live, above all things live, don't simply exist.
If you are blessed enough to know what real love is - love with all your heart, soul and body. Live your life so that at any hour you will be able to shake hands with yourself and try to accomplish at least one thing worth while each day. Then when your nights come you will be able to pull up the covers and say to yourself - "I have done my best". F. Collis Wildman copr. 1926

1 comment:

  1. This poem has always meant a lot to me. You see, my father gave me a card for my 5th birthday that had this poem on it - a rather odd choice for a 5 year old! Three weeks later, he committed suicide. I guess he thought these were good words by which to live, and wanted to leave something to guide me through my life. They have done so everyday of the 58 years since his passing. Today would have been his 100th birthday! Thank-you for sharing….

    ReplyDelete