Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Turn and burn!


We spent the first weekend in August in Chama for the big celebration of Chama Days. This is something we always looked forward to when we were growing up there. My Grandfather was a rancher with lots of horses and other livestock. We always had the opportunity to ride in the parade horseback. There is one Chama Days in particular that I remember the most at that was in 1976. Whoa, that seems like a LONG time ago, but I remember it quite well. This was a Bicentennial year so it was extra cool riding in the parade. I can still see myself waiting at the beginning of the parade, by the middle school, with my Mom. I have always been so proud of her and all of her accomplishments and how she could outride anybody. I remember thinking, while waiting for the parade to start, if I would ever have the opportunity to ride in a Chama Days parade with my daughters, (ok, I was thinking way ahead) but I really did wonder if everything just stayed the same and that would be my opportunity also. Guess I didn't fully understand the concept of time and change when I was 9.


So back to the present - My Mom was scheduled to barrel race on Saturday. Of course we were going to go to be her Fan Club. She is back again running barrels since her accident in September of 2008. She is one tough Cookie let me tell you! She and my sister Shawna and my Aunts Lisa and Beva are part of a drill team in Snowflake AZ. They perform prior to rodeos. They practice long and hard and do a really awesome job in their performances. Well, one day as they were practicing for an upcoming event, Somehow my Mom and another member collided horseback. If i remember right, my mom's horse was kicked (it gets pretty close for comfort in a part of their routine) anyway, she kinda bucked or jumped (boy I am killing this story) causing my mom to fly forward, with her right leg still in the stirrup, then yanked back and crashing to the ground (Mom, if you are reading this post, please comment and correct this k) anyway, long story short, she shattered her femur in 4 places. She was airlifted to Flagstaff, had surgery, a rod was placed in her leg, HORRENDOUS black and purple brusing on her whole right leg. Very scary. Took time off from work and play to recover, back barrel racing and kicking butt in the spring - early summer?


So, they head for the first barrel and it was a little tough ground, so not a perfect turn, costing her a few seconds. Anyway, she was bummed, but we were all still proud of her. Greg told her he thought she came in fourth, so she was really bummed. She called a few days later and said she took second overall. Way to go Mom!


I have to comment about one more thing before posting this - Ashli works for Graff Orthodontics in Farmington. They all kid with one another about all sorts of things. Well as she was preparing to go to Chama for the weekend, they gave her a hard time about "Chama Days". Who has a Chama Days? What is a Chama Days? People really have a Chama Days? So Ashli told them that she was going to watch her Nena Barrel Race. They asked her what her Nena was. She said, "My Grandma." So they really got a kick out of this, i'm guessing they thought her Grandma was 89 or so and probably visualized her going around the barrels with her knitting needles. Well, Ashli told them how young her Nena is and how she barrel races all over. So, for all interested, here is "My Mom" my "other" sisters Mom, and my girls Nena Turning and Burning in Chama! As my sister Jennifer said in her Blog, "MY MOM ROCKS".


This weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment